Thursday, March 26, 2015

Reversible Table Runner

I love love LOVE decorating for the seasons/holidays. However, I dislike all the storage space it takes up so I thoroughly enjoy when I can get 2 decor uses out of 1 item. Which lead me to the idea of this Spring/Easter table runner...

This is my first time making a table runner so I did some research and found that the table runner should be one-third of your table width. As for the length, that is all your decision.

Step 1: Wash and dry fabric

Step 2: Cut out your fabric

When you go to cut your fabric, be sure to add in your seam allowances. I used 1/2 inch seam allowances so I cut the fabric at 14 inches (have to double for both sides) because I wanted a 13 inch wide table runner.

My favorite way to cut fabric is as you see below:





Here are all the items I used:
http://www.joann.com/sew-essentials-home-hobby-table/13132808.html#start=1
http://www.joann.com/36x59-cutting-mat/2622033.html?green=B8F3D172-5120-5B9D-A09B-D79E10267727
http://www.joann.com/olfa-rotary-cutter-heavy-duty-45mm-/1921386.html?green=B8F3D172-5120-5B9D-A09B-D79E10267727
http://www.joann.com/omnigrip-2-1half-x-12-1half-ruler/11504651.html#q=rotary+ruler&start=21

I bought all of these with 60% off coupons at separate times so I paid a lot less than full price :)

Step 2: Sew all 4 corners and leave about 4 inches to turn your table runner right side out. Remember to iron seams open as you go.

Step 3: Cut the corners about 1/8 inch away from the seam.


Step 4: Turn fabric right side out and I used my handy point turner to get the corners perfect. This tool also takes out baste stitching super easily and I use it often due to my love for ruffles.

You can buy it here:
http://www.joann.com/point-turner-and-seam-creaser/2386480.html#q=point+turner&start=1


Step 5: You can sew the 4 inches closed with your sewing machine at 1/8 inch seam allowance. I personally do not like any seams showing so I slip stitched it.


TA-DA! An Easter and Spring table runner for the next few months :)






Would you like one but do not have the time? This is where I can come in... Send an email over with your table dimensions and together we can make your own specialty table runner to enjoy!

Time: 30 minutes
Cost: $10 ($5 each side!)
Tools: Sewing Machine, Serger Machine, Cutting mat, Rotary Cutter, Rotary Ruler, Point Turner, Iron, Pins, Scissors and Hand needle
Material: Cotton fabric
Difficulty: Easy

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...