Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Sew Baby Foam Blocks with Pictures


 Step 1: Gather materials needed (see below)
- 4x4 inch pictures (up to 6)
- Cut out (6) 5.5 inch x 5.5 inch squares of fabric
- (1) 6 inch foam block
- Vinyl material to cover pictures and cut it slightly bigger than pictures (I bought 18 inches and had plenty leftover)




Step 2: Sew as close to picture as you can with vinyl on top, picture in middle and fabric on bottom. After you have sewn all 4 corners, cut leftover vinyl as close to seam as you can.


Step 3: Put blocks in the arrangement you would like; I numbered the edges for you to sew together.

**Notice I did serge edges but it is not needed. 


Step 4: Sew edges together at 1/4 inch seam allowance. Do not forget to iron every seam open after finishing.


It is beginning to look like a block! YAY!


It starts to get a little complicated when sewing the seam numbered 4 due to the bulk of a block.


Step 5: When you get to the last 3 seams, sew the right and left and leave the middle open to put the foam block in.


Step 6: I did not want to attempt putting a block through the sewing machine so I hand stitched the last seam :)


I made 4 for my cute little nephew! I cannot wait to give them to him next month :) Also, if you noticed the Easter fabric the blocks are sitting on, it is because I wanted to leave a sneak peek to the next project. I am really excited for the tutorial!

Did you notice the top block looks a lot bigger than the bottom 3?? I cut the fabric squares 6 x 6 inches and the foam block was a good inch smaller so the fabric is loose. Live and learn right??! It was the hardest one to make of course hehe!

Time: 1 hour for first block; 30 minutes for any additional ones
Cost: $5 per block
Tools: Sewing Machine, Serger Machine, Iron, Pins, Scissors and Hand needle
Material: Foam block, vinyl material, cotton fabric, 4x4 pictures
Difficulty: Medium

Want to know ways to reduce cost? Try buying the foam in bulk (if you want to make more than 1) with a 50% off coupon from Joann. Have scrap fabric? That can save you lots of money :) Wait for a deal on 4x4 pictures at one of the local stores. (Cvs and walgreens do picture deals often) I paid $2.50 per block with the deals! 

Update: I would say my little nephew is pleased with his new blocks :) Score!




1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...